The big one: commanding, clear-cut, absolute
It’s a three-way design. At the bottom sit two brand-new 23cm MSP woofers (bigger, redesigned brothers of the 18cm drivers we’ve used in the Contour 20 and 30). At the top, like the jewel in the crown of every other speaker in the new Contour range, is the magnificent Esotar2 soft-dome tweeter.
Between them is a completely new 15cm midrange driver. Like the rest of our drivers it uses an aluminium voice-coil. It also deploys a neodymium magnet system, and was designed using Finite Element Method optimisation techniques. We set Daniel, Danny, Andreas and their guys to work on it because we wanted the Contour 60 to retain that signature midrange sound in a large cabinet, without having to repurpose an existing driver for a job it wasn’t designed for. They did an amazing job.
All the drivers are powered by low-mass, high-durability aluminium voice-coils. And the tweeter’s voice-coil sits – as they do across the Contour range – in a special magnetic ferrofluid. It works like a shock absorber and dissipates heat to reduce stress on the moving parts – which improves power-handling, widens the frequency response and ... and now we’re just boasting. What it means for you, in your favourite room, listening to your favourite music, is consistent Contour quality, at neighbour-bothering volumes (if you’re the type), all day.
- New 15cm midrange and 24cm extended-excursion woofers for clear-cut midrange and deep commanding bass performance
- Large diameter copper-clad aluminium voice-coils with 84% increased winding height
- High-quality Mundorf capacitors and brand-new wiring configuration
- World renown Esotar2 soft dome tweeter for ultra clear high-frequency reproduction
- New asymmetric spider for increased system symmetry